Yeah!! I just put the last stitches in on the Bakelite Phone and I am happy with the way it came out. This week I will start browsing the craft / upholstery stores for fabric to use in making this into a cushion. I have a feeling that could turn into a longer process than the actual stitching.
This is the first kit that I have stitched by Kirk & Hamilton. The design team for the company has many wonderful, fresh ideas. In addition to kits, the company also sells handpainted canvases. I have not seen their hp canvases in person so at the moment have no opinion on them.
The kit came with the printed canvas, Anchor tapestry wool, cotton floss, instructions, chart and needle all packaged in a nice gift bag with a color photo on front. I found working with tapestry wool a very nice change from threads that require each and every stitch to be laid in. The quality of the interlock canvas was very rough compared to the Zweigart mono canvas that I am used to using. I don’t know if that is indicative of quality or simply the difference of manufacturing process. There are a couple of errors in the chart but if you follow the colors as printed on the canvas it will not be a problem. The printing on the canvas was almost straight and required only minor adjustments. I had enough wool in every color although it was really close on a couple (ie, about 20″ left over).
This is the only project that I have stitched using half-cross in my 30+ years of being a needlepointer. It will never happen again. I am not at all impressed with the coverage and the fussing needed to adjust to the pivot points from one row to the next. With every other row the needle is coming up in a hole that already has a stitch — that caused additional fussing and stitch disruption. The coverage on the back is sparse and I now understand why the pros say that this stitch is not appropriate for anything that will be handled and used.
As much as I like the designs by Kirk & Hamilton I don’t know that I will purchase another. With a Kirk & Hamilton kit, I would need to swap out all the wool so that the piece could be completed in basketweave. I will start paying attention at the local shops looking for a good selection of tapestry wool.