The quilt top is complete — just a little trimming needed but I won’t do that until after it is quilted. The thought of adding a binding with triangle edges was beyond reasonable, so I added quarter square triangles to create a straight edge and will not be adding a border. The quilt finished at 72″ square and I should have plenty of purple fabric for the binding.
Muslin Mates Stars (photo from the Moda website)
In my resource center I found several yards of Moda muslin mates fabric that is white on white stars – I think that I had planned to use it for a white biscuit quilt that is an old work in progress. It will make an excellent backing for the trip quilt.
The original trip quilt was completed with straight line quilting through the center of each block — probably in both directions. I’m not sure if I will do both directions or just one. At the moment, I am auditioning thread, I have a few possible choices (all are Signature cotton): white, parchment, sand dollar, ivory, and mother goose. I’m leaning to ivory.