Last night I finished stitching the Pineapple bellpull – while watching the Olympics, of course. I am absolutely delighted with the finished piece — mistakes and all!!
About this piece —
My sampler is stitched on 40 count linen. When I cut fabric I always add 6″ to the length and to the width. Imagine my surprise when I got to the end and there was only 1.5″ left!! I have no idea if the pattern had multiple errors or if my fabric was not truly 40 count — most likely it was a combination of the two since I did find several errors in the patterns. I did not stitch any basting lines along the edge of the design and from now on that will be my first step on any large project.
There are several variations in my piece when compared to the instructions. There are also several variations from the instructions to the photos as published in Fine Lines.
I did not find a metallic that suited the piece and where that was called for I either left it off or substituted silk.
The only parts I found frustrating were the blackwork bands. I stitched each and every one at least twice and some three times. The final blackwork band has a major error and I just couldn’t bring myself to rip and re-stitch. I am not proficient at black work so it was hard to determine the appropriate path and visualize the completed design.
Use graph paper large enough to see the entire section for your name and date, cut and paste if you need to.
I changed “finished” to “her work”. For my taste, it is more sampler appropriate.
Complete crosses were used for all words and letters rather than half cross or continental.
Wow!! I feel like a super star!!